View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 05:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
I had them as a child in Illinois and they still are required. They are more generic Tornado/Disaster drills, but they end up very similar to nuclear attack preparedness. We would move to the center hallways, kneel down facing the lockers, cover our heads with our hands our and extra clothing. I'm a little to young for duck and cover.
I went to Greenhill Elementary School in Rutherford County, and we did Tornado Drills, Fire Drills and Nuclear attack drills. We had those going from kindergarden all the way to fifth grade.

When i left Greenhill half-way through the fifth grade and went to Waxhaw Elementary, and then Parkwood Middle School (now Junior High) for the sixth grade we only did Fire Drills and maybe tornado drills.

When i went back to New Hope Middle School for seventh and eigth grades in Rutherford County again, we where still doing Tornado, fire and nuke attack drills. When i went to RS Central High School, we only did fire drills and tornado drills on a regular basis... we only did ONE or TWO nuke attack drills after ninth grade... Of course that was the tail end of the 1980s and we weren't expecting a sudden nuke attack at that point.

When i joined the navy in 1989, they where still training us to fight the Soviets. But instead we ended up figthing the Iraqis and other irregular forces in the failed Solami republic
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.