View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 AM

My school experience was the same as Tigger's. The occasional fire drill and that was it. Admitedly I went to school in Scotland, so our English posters may have had different experiences. In Scotland we always considered ourselves reasonably "immune" from terrorism; the popular perception was that any terrorist attacks on the UK mainland by the IRA etc would be focused solely on England. As it turned out that was the case, and I actually think that a lot of people carried on in that mindset after the threat to the mainland switched to Islamic terrorism; a lot of people only really woke up to the situation after the failed attack on Glasgow airport.

I've also experienced the false alarm scenario where someone who ought to know better decided the best way to deal with a suspect package was simply to open it to see what was inside it...

Oddly enough one of my work tasks at the minute is to update our contingency plans; a task that is admittedly long overdue and has been prompted by swine flu.