View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 04:13 AM

that was a good read.

For our california campaign I deliberately set up multiple obstacles to use in the future depending on the outcome.

I have the a california state rep that is not who he says he is.

A mexican warlord out for revenge after they disrupted his plans of taking over southern california

A group of russian pows masquerading as MPs that are in league with the california state rep

the us army captain thats working with the warlord

and the group that is aiding the players are using them to accomplish there own goals (so far the players have done verything they have ask so there not a threat, however in the NY state game they are working against them)

To me this allows enough wiggle room as player dont always do what you expect. The longest part was mapping and scouting the region. Visiting each town in the area and building the trust of the locals and making contact with various freedom fighters and groups to build up enough strength to challenge the mexican forces. Finding stragglers and civilians with military experience to join up and help liberate the county of imperial valley. about 2 years of real time total now of info for each town, map locations of battlefield and military strong points. I have note books of info for ever town defence in the immediate area of the chocolate mountain base as the forces there have carved out a safe haven for the people there. The battle of 29 palms was a few months in the making as I went away to work for 3 months I was able to research and draw up troop concentrations and maps, when I returned we spent 2 weeks playing out the forces involved, the meetings with the generals and sixth army command. Then a couple nights of battling it out as his unit push in from the east while the marines and the freedom fighters attacked from the north and the west. The final stand of mexican forces on the hill top over looking the base as we used nerve gas on the main base complex. The final 600 men surrendering after being surrounded. then a negotiated prisoner exchange as one of the officers was the son of a mexican general.

We enjoy large battle scenarios, it takes alot of work. My brother ask me if he could gm for an area of the US so I gave him washington state area to be his creation. Hes put about a months worth of work into it with military maps, organizations and even got the help of a former military officer from that region we game with in World of Warships to give him info on stuff the every day person doesnt have access to. So far its been good. I hope he likes doing it as I really do enjoy getting to play a PC rather then using my guys as an NPC to help move things along.

So to every GM thank you for your hard work and to all of you here that provide and share your experiences thank you. I enjoy reading about your adventures and adding little things I like into my own game worlds history.