View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 10:45 AM

It seems we've all been a bit hasty.
This from the Yellow book, edition 2.2...
Quote:
Page 9 under 1993
Sporadic antigovernment rioting in Pyongyang and other large cities force the North Korean government to make further concessions toward a free market economy.
Quote:
Page 237
Korea: The newly reunified Republic of Korea came to the assistance of the Chinese early in the war and was subjected to limited nuclear attacks by the Soviets. Although the capital at Seoul was destroyed and several ports were severely damaged (they are now devastated), most of the rest of the country is organized under martial law, and is an Island of stability In a sea of disorganization. Resuming its reputation as the-Hermit Kingdom, Korea is now extremely xenophobic and distrustful of strangers.
However, we have numerous references in a number of books (vehicle guides mainly) of US units fighting North Korean and Soviet troops. On the other hand we seem to have some conflict - Some sources say US troops were fighting North Korean units, but the above says the country was unified early in the war... :S

It also appears the US was sent in as a response to North Korean aggression (but it's a bit vague on detail - could even have been the US who moved first).

Now I've spent a few hours re-reading and researching, I'm of the opinion that the UN was NOT involved. Therefore, any nation other than the US or the Koreans themselves are extremely unlikely to be present/have participated.

It is now my opinion that the US units located in central Korea in 2000 are rather unwelcome too based on the last line of the quote above. The 2nd ID may be tolerated, having long association with the country, but the National Guard units are another matter.
Mind you, the half dozen or so Soviet units are probably just as uncomfortable...

I was also totally unable to find any reference of the UK 6th actually making contact with US units or getting anywhere even remotely near Korea. It appears they were operating elsewhere in China in support of the PLA.
There is certainly no mention whatsoever in any version of any other nation participating in the far east (hopefully somebody can prove me wrong on that).

Hmm, further hours trawling through Challenge found this in issue #36 on page 3.
Quote:
Korea: The characters were members of the 8th US Army (or of allied Chinese, South Korean, or Australian units)...

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem