View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 04:18 PM

Although I see the attraction of Switzerland as a destination, I don't think it would be wise during a nuclear war.
The country is surrounded by beligerants, many of which have nukes and all of which certainly have plenty of targets, both hit and ignored (to date).
If the EMP doesn't completely screw up the communications the church relies upon, the radioative fallout is going to cause serious issues with the health of the generally older (and frailer) members of the church. As these older members are also form the upper "ranks", chances are that by late 1998 there's not going to be anyone left in positions of significant influence.
Food supplies are another issue that needs close scrutiny. Although we know in canon there was no nuclear winter as such, before, and even during the exchanges this concept would have preyed heavily on everyones minds. Locating an important organisation in an area that does not have a guarenteed food supply in such an event is, well, a blunder of the largest order.
Fuel, specifically for heating in winter is another factor to take into account. This particular issue is one that will cause tens, even hundreds of thousands of deaths throughout the continent. I beleive that (in recent times anyway) a lot of natural gas is pumped from the Soviet states to the west. Even here in Australia it's been almost front pages news when somewhere like the Ukraine cuts supply for political reasons (usually an arguement with Moscow) - a lot of people rely on the gas to prevent freezing to death and use in their kitchens.
This gas is certainly not still being pumped after December 1996, just in time for Christmas. Those who die from exposure at this time might be considered the lucky ones though considering what was to come over the next few years.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem