View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I wonder if the Vatican has a bomb/fallout shelter. My guess would be that it does but I'm not sure how one would find out for sure.
Apparently it does (I googled it...)

http://www.nytimes.com/1982/02/22/wo...r-library.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
I'm thinking that in light of that article I should have added a fifth poll option (relocates to another site in Italy) which in hindsight I would have voted for.
It simply never occured to me as an option until I read the article again yesterday, but in hindsight, I, too, might have opted for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Although I see the attraction of Switzerland as a destination, I don't think it would be wise during a nuclear war...
Leg, you make valid points. Whilst I opted for Switzerland in the poll, I do think it's possible that the Papal party might move to Switzerland (or elsewhere in Italy) as a short term move in the summer of 1997 when the nukes start flying and then move on sometime in 1998 to another location where they could stay for a longer term (basically the duration of the War plus a period afterwards).

I think main contenders for this long term location would be either France or Spain. I did think about Brazil, but there's a lot of petrochem industry in Brazil, so I think it would be high on the list of neutral nations to be targetted. Another possibility might be Argentina. I might be mistaken, but I seem to recall Brazil and Argentina go to war with each other at some point, so that might also have a bearing on the matter - why leave Switzerland for Argentina if Argentina is now a war zone? On the other hand, the Pope might have arrived there before that war broke out.