View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
That's not really a valid idea -- aren't all of us here basically amateurs at publishing and game development? And yet, as long-time players and GMs, we probably know more about the subject than so-called "professionals."
I guess I am an amateur. I've never made a penny (and don't really want to) by publishing game materials. That doesn't mean that we (in the DC Group) don't aim to turn out product as good as or better than what professional game designers turn out. If fact, we'd like to turn out "improved/revised" versions of the original canon materials, using the familiar GDW appearance and improved graphical content and revised/more detailed background. Paul, your web site is far above and beyond what the professionals have turned out by a huge margin!

As far as subject matter knowledge, we (like many others here) are not amateurs. Law, Flamingo and I are current or former NCOs with over 10 deployments between us. We are all school-trained historians and I've got a master's in national security policy and have worked on logistics at both the retail and wholesale level - in a period of a few years I worked on deploying both multiple corps and my company. As Kato alluded to, when the 2013 project came looking for volunteers the attitude was not very positive - since we had not published games before they discounted our professional RL abilities.

From the material that has been leaked (I have yet to see the finished product) the 2013 timeline is much more fantasy than the v1 timeline was in 1984. We're working on answering more of the v1 timeline what if? posed by GDW in 1984; IMHO the 2013 timeline what if? requires a lot more answers and fantasy to get there from here.

With that said, I hope that the 2013 rules are more an improvement over the v1 and v2.2 rules. I personally never liked the v2.2. adapted Traveller character generation system and the pretty clumsy v1 combat rules. With 15 years of RPG development between v2.2 and 2013 I can see how the rules could be radically different. I see rules as a tool to help the GM tell a story - and now we have a fifth method (v1, v2.2, Gurps, 2013 and the Targan-system-that-shall-not speak-its-name) to tell three possible related stories (v1, v2 and 2013 timelines). I think this is great, to each their own.

CStock88, I'll start a new thread and repost what we've put out so far.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...