View Single Post
Old 08-19-2020, 07:05 PM
Registered Registrant

In general, we older gamers are going to have to deal with the fact that many games being made these days are not pitched at us - we are not the target audience anymore.
I think this is the same for Free League's games, with the rules system they use, we are not the target audience. Sure if they get some of us, they're happy, we're happy but they are aiming the game at people who have a different attitude towards gaming and the harsh reality is that many of those gamers are from the younger age brackets.

As I've said, I want to see the material they produce for this 4th edition but I have no love for the rules system and after looking at it more closely, I don't believe I will ever run it and I'm unlikely to be a player in a game using those rules (for the same reason that I refuse invites for 4th edition D&D - now those are some rules I actually hate)
While I understand what some people are getting at, an appeal for all of us to support the kickstarter regardless of what our personal interests or feelings are, is actually pretty damned insulting. I should support this version of the game even though I don't want to play it, just because somebody else thinks it's a good idea?

This is the same as telling me I should like a particular brand of clothing just because my friends do, or flavour of icecream, or type of beer or choice of vacation spot, just because someone else likes it/wants it/owns it/etc. etc. For me, these are things I regard as my own likes/dislikes, they're personal, they're subjective. So I will support kickstarters that I have my own personal interest in, but I feel no obligation to support one just because someone else wants it. Whether I support this kickstarter is entirely my decision, pleas to support it "just because" are actually making me less interested, I do want some of this new material but I don't need it so I'm happy to wait for a while and get more information before deciding to support (or not) this version of the game.