View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmark6 View Post
Crofty Mine would still have been producing at the start of the war, it was concentrating on tin but had deposits of arsenic and tungsten. Tungsten has lots of uses including the creation of vaccuum tubes, if the French were trying to get their comms up and running they might be interested in this.

Other mines that closed around this time still yielded copper and zinc, with tin I think they make brass. These mines were flooded and spewing poison into the rivers by this time and they might not be viable using Post War technology, although rescuing slave workers from the hellish conditions such a mine would create would be a great scenario for a white hat party.

Another possible source of revenue could be slate. Cornwall has lots of good slate and it can be shipped instead of ballast so its transport costs are effectively free. Again, if the French are rebuilding their country, slate for roofing might have some value.
Geevor was the mine I was thinking of, but having looked it up I see no reason why the Duke can't have control of Geevor and Crofty. And as you say, he would have ample slave workers to work in the mines so isn't going to care if he loses some to the occasional cave in, flood, or fire.

And you're right about there being the correct mineral deposits in Cornwall to make brass, which is obviously a key component of ammunition (amongst other things). So, that and tungsten gives the Duke at least two things to trade with the French, plus the possibility of slate also. I like where this is going...