View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 02:14 PM

Evening all,

Work continues slowly on my South West England material...attached are a couple of more completed documents, one covering HMG's somewhat beleagured Plymouth garrison and the other a group of escaped Warsaw Pact POW's turned marauder...I've put them in with the original thread rather than start a new one as they're designed to complement my piece on the Duke of Cornwall.

Whilst the Plymouth work has gone through a number of changes to get to this stage, my intention was always to have the Government garrison isolated from the main body of HMG’s forces in Southern England, with no land corridor and only occasional ships arriving from Portsmouth. I had originally intended to put a Company of Infantry who had returned from Europe (B Company, 1st Battalion, Green Howards) at Crownhill Fort, but I dropped that idea as the work evolved and beefed up the 4th Battalion, Devonshire and Dorset Regiment to a full Battalion, albeit seriously understrength (I’d originally planned to reduce them to a single Company of Home Service Force troops). Zeebrugge Troop of the Royal Marines was a relatively late addition, and effectively took the role that I’d envisaged for the Green Howards.

The idea of using Tregantle and Scraesdon Forts as FOB’s in Cornwall was originally Ramjam’s; I’m grateful to him for pointing me in that direction. I had also originally planned to have the Government controlling Saltash, but dropped that idea fairly late on as I felt that might be stretching the available manpower too thinly.

With Konev’s Wolves, I wanted to have a marauder group consisting of escaped Warsaw Pact POW’s roaming Dartmoor. At one point I considered using escaped convicts from the civilian prison on Dartmoor, but ultimately I felt that as the idea was to have them moving around and living rough, it would be better if they were Spetznaz and VDV (btw those of you with long memories may recall my first mentioning Konev’s Wolves about eight years ago!). Konev’s second in command was originally a Russian – I changed him to an East German after HorseSoldier’s post about the Felix Dzerzhinsky Regiment. I was keen on having Konev’s group on horseback as I wanted to capture the image of marauders mounted on horses emerging from the pre dawn to loot, rape, and pillage in a pseudo medieval way.

The next piece will be something on the City of Exeter; at the moment I have a lot of ideas and notes on this, but nothing approaching a finished piece. My intention is to have a “Free City of Exeter” which will introduce a third major player in the region, alongside HMG and the Duke of Cornwall, with both sides making overtures to Exeter’s leaders to try and form an alliance. Hopefully I should be able to pull something together on Exeter within the next few months.

I'm also still keen on using the civil prison at Dartmoor, which in the Twilight War timeline would still be functioning as a maximum security facility holding extremely dangerous offenders (in real life Dartmoor was reclassified as a Category C prison for less violent offenders in 2002).

So, documents attached, feedback welcome as always

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: doc HMG Garrison Plymouth.doc (287.5 KB, 175 views)
File Type: doc Konev's Wolves.doc (112.0 KB, 145 views)