View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
I am inclined to say that a grain elevator is probably not a good cover. First, the areas that have grain elevators are also areas that have a not-inconsiderable population. Second, these locations are probably going to be suspicious if they fall out of use without replacement. Third, you cannot disguise nearly enough stuff as grain.

I think an old mine or other such venture are probably a lot more desirable - no/minimal nearby population, easy explanation for a decade or two of heavy activity followed by abandonment, lots of use for a variety of heavy equipment.
Have you been out West? There are plenty of grain elevators in the middle of nowhere. There are also plenty of abandoned grain elevators. Plus why do you need to shut it down? It can operate until the end of the world.

And about your third comment https://www.steelcar.com/sites/defau...d-hopper_0.jpg

What's in this covered hopper car? It could be anything!

"Operating at a gross rail load of 286,000 pounds, the above 5,431-cubic foot hopper car is equipped with a through centre sill, designed for transporting medium-density commodities covering a variety of agricultural products as well as chemicals and allied products."