View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 01:03 PM

Default depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico20854
The consensus on ar-15.com (a true gun-nut site if there ever was one) was that leaving springs compressed has NO effect on their reliability. They have documented untold instances of magazines found loaded for decades functioning perfectly. The leaving mags loaded causes malfunctioning is an old wive's tail! What does cause magazine springs to wear out is repeated cycling - loading and unloading. That and cracked feed lips are the major causes of unreliability in old magazines!

(and I typed my reply as Legbreaker was doing his, so we repeat!)

wether or not keeping spring and thereby mag lips under tension over time causes failure to chamber /malfunction depends totally on type of magazine and weapon it is designed for .Many mags made for other weapons than the ar 15 will have problems .I can mention the Ruger Mini 14 and 30 ,Ruger 10/22etc .weapons made in copious amounts.also for the ar 15 platform there are a good deal of crappy mags out there -like there are for most any magazine fed weapon..some producers make what amounts to paperweight in a 30 round format .

Last edited by headquarters; 04-16-2009 at 05:26 AM.