View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 08:06 PM

It's been so long since I've played, but I'm pretty sure I didn't pack in much detail to background or stuff. When I ran a lot of Twilight, we were all young, and much more into the hack & slash (run & gun?) model of playing than Role-playing. No one really wanted to get into the grittier details of family outside the game.

We did get silly sometimes, mounting speakers on the vehicles, to blare music in battle (Ride of the Valkyries, what else!). My brother's Dutch tanker had a rubber duckie on a string around his neck.

My players in my 10-years-ago Merc game were about half-and-half on details. One guy had been reading a lot of Peter Capstick (South African hunting guide) so he played a South African hunter, and detailed his kahki clothes and weapons. (But he wouldn't wear a helmet! "Cape buffalo don't shoot back, after all.") Again, no one really got into the family or contacts outside the game. I think half a page of background, using the chargen process as an outline, was the most I would see.

Someday, I would like to run a v2.2 game again, and see if people would treat the NPC world in a better, more detailed, fashion. The chargen process for that seemed to boost that kind of thing. {Maybe if I get that Twilight:1919 idea moving next year....}