View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 10:01 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral View Post
I wonder if the IFV are still carrying troops in Twilight: 2000. Let's face it: anti-tank fire would have caused stupendous losses among the IFV. Weapons not capable of killing a T-55 can take out an M2 or a Marder. I wonder how many armies with operable IFV turn them into CFV (cavalry fighting vehicles) or light tanks by 2000. Of course, as with all things in Twilight: 2000, it comes down to location, location, location.

Webstral
I would think you would see many IFVs being operating as tanks much in the same fashion that several late-WWII tanks of various make trooped on for years in places like the former Yugoslavia and the Middle East. I was never big fan of the entire Mechanized concept with such vehicles as the M113 to begin with, only made matters worse when they came out with IFVs. For people who should know the limitation of those vehicle seem to forget them when they aren't the one riding them into battle.

Same with the Light Motorized concept tested at Fort Lewis, even though it basically been used to one extent or another. As for getting small units to points to start patrol, it fine. As convoy protection, okay if that all you have is HMMWVs then so be it. To use them much the same way the M113 were suppose to be use as fire support vehicle...Someone needs their head examined.

The FAV concept and whatever it morphed into was taking an old idea such Jeep being used as scout/command car and returning a light vehicle to a scout role. Yes the vehicle was light, but one of the things made the jeep so successful was it quickness to get itself out of trouble. Similarly FAVs in the right terrain could do that, but I wouldn't use in villages and cities.

Getting off topic. I think no matter if it APC or AFV if the troop has anti-tank weapon regardless if it is way overkill for the vehicle in question and there were other weapon nearby that could kill just as effectively. They would still look to kill it, just for their own piece of mind. Know what anti-tank round does to the inside of real Tank, it would play havoc with the dismounts inside an IFV or APC on it way to go through the other side of the vehicle.