View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
And now thinking back on those bad ol'days.....any you other older guys (doesn't matter what service or nation, stupidity seems universal) trained to ween yourselves off water? We would constantly do these 12 milers and be expected to have full canteens at the end. Oi!

Now I tell the "Joes" drink, drink, drink...Ahh the times, they sure are a changing.

Sua Sponte
Actually I was fortunate enough to have an old master sergeant as mentor who enforced 'the fill your belly with water' school of thought. 'The belly is the best canteen you have' and if your not pissing regular your not drinking enough, then if your piss is dark your not drinking enough... drink, and drink... gives you something to sweat out and puke up too.. But in basic we were required to drink on regular basis, even if not thirsty, but what most ppl don't realize, by the time you notice thirst you are already dehydrated, so it makes sense... and salt tablets... but that was in '68 when they acutally taught more subject matter to the grunts in AIT too... heck out first aid classes were what they teach Life Savers now, minus the starting the IV. I witnessed one later that I thought WTF is this? Not even how to treat a sucking chest wound! Nuff of the soap box... yes we drank and drank.. the whankers that tried to teach weaning from water needed to be run to death IMO. (Thinks of the Capt in Band of Brothers)