View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 06:20 AM

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
Firebases:

I think it would get Fuedal real quick.

Place your village on highgrounds with sharpened stakes and berms as defenses, if it were me, I would flood the fields immediatly around the village and use them to grow rice or a combination of crayfish or carp as well.

One thing to consider, you could probably only control the area for wich your weapons have effective range.

Imagine the PCs strolling down the road and they see a circular pattern of cultivated land extended about 1200m from the village on the hill, but it stops suddenly.

As for Dien bien Phu;

Was it DeCastris or the general in charge of Indo China who made the same boast that Goering did with Stalingrad. They promised delivery of supplies they couldn't manage.

Plus, the fortifications were not completed EVER.

It was a series of Fire Bases ringing the valley, the main base and airstrip were on the valley floor and a poorly selected area really. It flooded to knee deep water in the monsoon season. And they placed outposts or firebases that ranged from Company to Battallion sized elements, the only problem was the rain, the problem getting building material in to fortifiy the place, basic supplises, the weather. And, they had mountains overlooking the base which allowed for plunging fire and fire that gunners could visualy observe their rounds. Further, it forced the pilots for landing and extraction as well as for parachute resupply to run a guantlet of anti air fire at eye level and sometimes even firing down on the planes as they circled to either land or drop their parachutes within the ever shrinkin perimeter.

Weather, flooding of the fortifications, this also grounded aircraft and lessened the effectiveness of fire from airsupport and artillery rounds.

Artillery: Viet Minhn could see the effectiveness of their fire and adjust if it wasn't. The French Union forces could not.

And of course a good number of colonial French Union Forces also defected and deserted as well.

And of course the lack of supply and propper shelter also had a great effect on the outcome.

I was planning on a campaign around Dien Bien Phu a couple years ago, I even got a few character ideas submitted. Its tempting to get it going again.

I think the breakdown of law and command and the increase in importance of holding areas for farmland and food/fuel/goods etc would mean a shift towards neo-feudalism ( catchy ,ey?) .

Of course having command would run in families/within groups of friends etc -now that trust is the only thing holding units together.

Our campaign rely on this thesis as far asdescribing the socioploitical enviroment in most places . (Not all though )