View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Registered Registrant

I'll stick to what I posted earlier - knowing what the director wanted to achieve, I accept the third movie and actually like it in the assembly cut.
As for Ripley being impregnated with an alien, that's an important part of the mythic elements of the story, the "bringing evil into paradise" and her sacrificing herself for the good of humanity concepts that I mentioned before.

The studio is responsible for screwing up the movie, the cinematic release is a bad butcher's job of what it was meant to be.
The novel makes things much more apparent, the alien infects a dog-like creature rather than some bovine and so it's final form is sleeker and faster than the biped form we've seen before and this causes the prisoners to identify it as "the dragon", i.e the devil come to destroy their world and ruin their lives... which is exactly what was going to happen if Weyland-Yutani was ever able to get an example of the alien back to Earth.

Having said all that, it in no way changes my mind that I want to see Gibson's story.
I'll probably buy it as soon as it's released in graphic novel/anthology form.