View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
If the local authorities were successful in stemming the surge of Infected to the South Side of Pittsburgh, you can travel South along Rt 51 all the way to Uniontown. Rt 51 runs from the Allegheny International Airport (on the border with Beaver Valley) through the South Hills of Pittsburgh (on the South side of both the Ft Pitt Tunnel and the Liberty Tunnels). It is fairly tight and out to Clairton PA and passes by the Allegheny County Airport by the Century III Mall (where Rt 837 to Clairton joins it). After crossing the Monn at Clairton, Rt 51 opens up and becomes a divided 4-lane highway (2 lanes each way) with a center median. Visibility is between 100m and 200m and contact range from the roadside is around 25m. From just a couple of miles South of Clairton until the intersection of Rt 119 at Uniontown, the population density falls off GREATLY and just 8 miles south of Clairton could be considered Rural with small sections of Suburban housing developments in between those Rural areas.

The I70 Corridor:

I70 runs through West Virginia, Ohio, and PA. It terminates at New Stanton and is the MAJOR transportation corridor across the Southern Pittsburgh-Washington PA metroplex. The largest population center is The Donora/Bell Vernon region with a LARGE shopping complex and higher population (most towns have populations of less than 1k). It is at the juncture of I70 and Rt 51. Rt 88 South also passes through this corridor. If the players travel South on Rt 88, they will eventually come to Rt 21 West from Uniontown to Waynesburg. This is an important junction as it has the Hatfield's Landing Power Station located to the East (about 200m) along the banks of the Monessen River (which is navigable). Visibility on Rt 88 is POOR (100m or less) and it is a wooded and twisting two-lane road this far South of Pittsburgh.

I70 East of Monessen and the Monessen River: After crossing the Monessen (which flows into the Monn) and heading East towards New Stanton, you will encounter a VERY RURAL exit called Walt's Mills. This is the home of GE Energy systems manufacturing plant for compact Nuclear Reactors (the kind used by the US Navy). The place is a veritable FORTRESS (I did an ATM in there for Fidelity Armored). Its Security was run by XE (formerly Blackwater) and the guards carried M9s, M4 Carbines (with 3-shot bursts) and wore NIJ Level 3A body armor (AV 1) from the way it bulged out from under their shirts. Their guard shacks were NIJ Level 4 (AV 4 in my game) including the glass (which my Bank Equipment coworkers installed) and fences were electrified. The security here was equal to or better than Iron Mountain's (in Slippery Rock PA) security.

The New Stanton Interchange:

I70 terminates/begins at 76 Toll just a mile East of the New Stanton exit. This is a VERY STRATEGIC INTERSECTION. It links I70 West to Rt 119 (from Uniontown heading to Greensburg) and both to 76 Toll heading East to Philly and West to Cleveland/Akron. It has both a FedEx and a UPS Distribution center plus several large manufacturing facilities (Sony electronics being the largest building along Rt 119 South). New Stanton also sits ABOVE 76 Toll Eastbound and this elevation gives a commanding view both up and down the Turnpike (which is 6 lanes wide here). You can easily see 5km in either direction. SOMEONE will control this convergence of highways. It is simply too valuable to leave uncontrolled.

I will detail Rt 119 South to Connellsville and the Youghiogheny River region through to Uniontown tomorrow.
In this and your previous entries, you provide a basis for having it be New Stanton, not Greensburg, as a setting for my adventure. I think that Greensburg sounds like a death trap in a state of Infection and that it would be evacuated in other directions, and you have provided some suggestions, thank you.