Thread: Twilight 2025
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 12:04 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestor View Post
I just saw this thread. I run a game set in 2030. I wrote the timeline in 2014. Some of it has come true, some not so much. I had the following:
<SNIP>
-Chinese recession leads to increased unrest, more authoritarian govt, and increased militarization (swing and a miss)
<SNIP>
-Russia rides high energy prices to rearm (strike two)
<SNIP>
By the time the war starts in 2025 (just add 30 years to canon dates!) Poland splits between "white Poles" favoring NATO and 'red Poles' favoring Russia, Iran is in full revolution (pro Western and royalists backed by the US vs regime backed by Russia), France leaving NATO, anti-EU governments voted into power in Italy and Greece, and NK moving south and you have a fair semblance of the 2TK world updated and ready to run for your Gen Z sons.

They still laugh when I say "Soviet" though...
China is undergoing some serious cultural problems with the fallout from the "One Child Policy"--demand for male offspring is causing a shortage of available women for marriage, even to the point of young girls being obtained (read "kidnapped" or "bought") from neighboring countries. This might lead to a basic instability in the Chinese civilization.

Russia's oil reserves are dwindling, few new fields are being found, and their shale-oil technology has not caught up. Just like Japan in 1941--being squeezed by the need for resources.

Love the idea about Poland splitting and the chaos politically.

And who knows what Uncle Vlad will do to consolidate power?