View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
In the USAREUR regiments (2nd and 11th), the squadron How Batteries were consolidated at the regimental level, this became How-2nd ACR, the state side units, for much of the Cold War period, kept the batteries at the squadron level, although I've heard that the 3ACR adopted USAREUR practice.

Now enters the National Guard.

They march to the beat of a different rock band!
This was the '70s, after all.

Quote:
Regimental numbers are allocated to the state, this is a carry over from World War II. The states are not required to man all of their allocated bloc of numbers, but many states have adopted the practise of honoring previous units. This would most likely be what happened with the 107th ACR.
I figured it was more an issue of the Field Artillery considering it one of their own.
I don't think it was a historic-to-Ohio number, either, as the WW1-WW2 era Ohio FA regiments were in the 130's. Somewhere, I have files on as many Ohio NG units as I could find (long, boring nights manning the phones at the Columbus library's history desk).

Anyway, you answered my question.