View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Where's our BRIPAC poster? I've heard that even the Spanish don't like the Ameli, due to a tendency towards fragility. Is that true?
Bon dia!

I'm afraid you are true. A very extended opinion about the Ameli is that, although the first prototypes were outstanding, the materials used in their serial production, intended to reduce its production cost, caused them to be too much fragile and unreliable. The preserial models seemed to point the Ameli as a good light machinegun. By the time I was in the BRIPAC, our machinegunners were proudly using the MG3 and I don't remember to have seen any Ameli until I was deployed in the Republika Srpska in 1999. There I was attached to a company of Naval Infantry of the "Tercio Armada" to provide them with radio/phone/satellite link. They were using the Ameli as squad light machinegun. I remember it was the first time I saw a plastic box for the belt.

So, like the CETME L, the Ameli was a good design, but was spoiled by the low quality materials and serial production. With the substitution of the CETME L by the G-36, the Ameli would be substituted by the HK MG43.