View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseSoldier View Post
Never going to happen, barring a complete rewrite of US gun laws -- even though most M14s weren't issued with full auto capability enabled, the receivers are still set up for it, and so BATFE takes the "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" view on the matter.

If you can find an older M1A (back when Springfield Armory was basically just assembling USGI M14 parts on their receivers), or get one from a higher end manufacturer than SA today, you can get something that is about as close to the real thing as will ever be available on the commercial market, though. (Well, I'm told there are some transferable Class III M14s out there, but I think I've heard upwards of $15K price tags if you can even find one . . .)
I know that the likelyhood of M-14s being sold to civilians is somewhere in between "never going to happen" and "when pigs fly"...but it is a sweet rifle and I have a lot of fond memories.

But the M-1 is the next best thing, and in spite of the armchair wiz-bangs talking out of their fourth point of contact about the amount of noise that the clip makes...after over three years of shooting it, I'm happy!