View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 07:00 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
I'm also not a fan of what I consider the M2's (and all Browning MGs) big weakness. After you heat up the barrel to the point where you have to change it, you will be involved in that task for up to a minute or more. This is due to the fact that ALL Browning MGs MUST BE "head-spaced" and "timed" during every barrel change. Running the "go/no-go" gauge under fire is not that appealing to me. It has been my experience that the gun will lose timing at between 300 and 500 rounds if not allowed to cool after every 50 to 100 rounds of continuous fire. I know they have those cool looking "barrel supports" (consisting of 3 rods which run along side the barrel and attached by plates to the front and back of the barrel) to lengthen the time you can fire on a single barrel before it loses head space and timing; but the armor seems to be the only ones who can get those. We "poor cousins" in artillery could never get them when I served. I did hear that Ohio Ordinance has developed a new QCB Barrel (quick change barrel) that doesn't need to be timed. This would be a great boon to the M2.
Umm the three rods thing is the blanks firings adapter.....

There is a Quick change barrel system...... Canada for one uses one. Several defense contractors manufacture them. There are even other barrel options out there with ribbed barrels to dissipate heat faster and built in handles to make quick changes easier.

The U.S. Army doesn't purchase these because of thousands of M2s and M3s in inventory. Citing the expense and fiscal realities.

We won't discuss the repeated rifle and pistol trials in the millions that could have replace every M2 in inventory twice over.

No, not that.

How does the DoD allocate money on new or legacy systems? Find a politician and throw money at that person....... also confirm that the General or Colonel in oversight of the project has a fallback VP position at that corporation post retirement.