Thread: 4th ed T2K
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2020, 06:20 PM

I posted this on the Free League Twilight 2000 Facebook page a month ago...

My three cents...
(I’m a long time player and fan of Twilight 2000 who always uses the V.1 history.)
1. Make sure you have a very good and detailed vehicle rule set that handles vastly different vehicles and their armor. An M1 Abrams will not be penetrated by a M16 no matter how good the die roles. The armor levels between a HUMVEE and a T-80 with reactive armor are not really comparable. And the top of a tank is tissue paper compared to their frontal armor. Furthermore mechanics should exist that in some way replicate the difference between an M1A2 with A functional CITV and an M1A1. So many games ignore, downplay or over simplify vehicles, but every T2K group I’ve heard about and run with lived by their vehicles.

2. This is an alternate history your doing...think of the implications of that as you write the setting and choose gear. You’ll have (using V.2 T2K) about 4 years of peace to cover that will not be our post-Cold War history. What about the EU? The US 1992 election? Quebec referendum of 1995? So many things will quickly change if the Soviet Union does not fall and the world has a renewed even more tense Cold”er” War.

3. Do Not inject current political opinions or biases. There is no 9/11, endless war on Terror, Second Bush, Obama, Trump or Coronavirus. It’s more War Games, Red Dawn, Rocky IV, and Top Gun but with slightly better Tech and perhaps a bit of exhaustion. (I could see a real feeling of “We got so close to winning and now this.” taking hold in the West.) America is still leader of the Free World. There’s still a Third World. And given the level of repression the Soviets will need to implement to stop their collapse and hold onto Eastern Europe, they most definitely will be seen as the “Evil Empire.”

Do these well and you will have an excellent and interesting setting.
That’s of course just my humble opinion. Thanks.
P.S. Please do a Tales of the Loop non-canon crossover Supplement.

I think #3 is the most relevant recently.

Benjamin