Thread: M1 Tank Factory
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 07:08 PM

Default Lima Incident

I believe the premise of the survival of the Lima Tank Plant in Lima Incident was that the warhead targeted on the Plant missed and/or fizzled. I'm going off of memory...I have it upstairs but I'm a little too worn out to get out of my chair now.

There was some damage, but the plant was largely intact and the tooling in a clean/cold state.

The "30" M1A1's were actually 3, only one of which had been fitted with the 120mm and bore sighted. Two more were waiting for installation and bore sighting. Your job was to recon, hold off the gangs/convicts, and call for a convoy of HET's.

It was kind of neat to see the details of the surrounding area...I think there were several OH NG units in the area armed with a scattering of M42 Dusters.

I did some work on a part for Cummins engine years ago and the part was delivered to a subsidiary in the Lima area. We drove through Lima, and right past the plant. I remember telling my coworkers that there was no way that place would be standing if it all went Nuclear. It was a little chilling.....I could hear the sirens in my head. A coworker was a Cold War aficionado and we just looked at each other and shivered.

-Dave