View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Because a turn is 5 seconds long and they considered that a character that had a lot of combat experience would react faster than one who didn't. Reacting faster meant that they could aim in one phase of their 5 second turn and then shoot on the second phase of that same turn.
A low Initiative character would aim in the first turn and shoot in the second turn. Surviving a lot of combat had benefits but I guess they were difficult to translate to the 2nd edition rules and then the 2.2 rules so it appears GDW decided to keep it simple... too simple say some but it does give a player some hope that their PC will improve enough to survive.
That's one thing I didn't like about the initiative. I understood their reasoning, but with the fixed values it meant a lower initiative person could never shoot first against a higher one (unless ambush or other unequal situation).

I thought that was weak, so when its applicable I add a die roll on top of the initiative to keep it random - but still in the favor of higher initiative characters.