Thread: Lists
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke11 View Post
The power and water stations TN-6/7 are south of Prime Base. It has been a few years since I have read Desert Search, so I'm not certain at this point if they are standalone or are attached to Prime Base thru underground means. Joseph Benedetto would be the best to discuss what his ideas where around there inclusion. He can be reached thru this forum (not sure if he actively watches this) or thru The Morrow Project Facebook page. He always tried to include a number of different support bases and ideas in his modules for TMP.
I don't recall any physical connection between the two stations and Prime Base, nor would one make sense. But I am not looking to analyze specific parts of the published modules, I am just looking for a general operating plan for the Project.

Quote:
The problem with factories is what kinds of things will it make, where does the raw material come from and where are they placed? Most bases are placed out of the way of potential targets and population centers in the game.
Valid points. I would say that they would be initially equipped with raw material and would supplement it with material salvaged from ruined cities - I would imagine them having their own smelter, for example. As to the location, the same is true of everything in the Project. The initial positions will be inconvenient for the pre-war population and are a roll of the dice for the post-war population. But I am not envisioning huge factories churning out mass quantities of items, but rather small factories churning out Project replacement parts and the parts needed for non-Project factories to get started. Trips back and forth would not be tremendously frequent, and with the Project in full swing should not be either onerous or unreasonable.

Quote:
I always thought broadcast power transmission from a source in orbit to ground station or ground base to ground base thru the air was an interesting concept to add. Power transmission thru the ground (think Nicola Tesla) was also an interesting concept to add.
Its an interesting concept but it has a heck of a lot of problems. If you do it in the RF you need HUGE arrays to make it work, if you do it in the optical the power densities can be absurd. It is interesting as a concept and may have some niche applications, but as a general solution to the power problem it leaves a lot to be desired.