Thread: Cost of a Base
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsofian View Post
The cost of such things has risen considerable, not counting inflation. There is so much more data available on a person now, so many more things to check. in the period from 1960-1990 a security clearance didn't have to check credit scores, on line sources, social media. In addition people tended to be less mobile and do less job hopping, which makes a background check a lot simpler.
A couple of data points:
  • In the late 1980s I was working at Wells Fargo student loans, a few times a year we had visits from the Defense Investigative Service checking on all the information on certain students' loan application paperwork (the references, addresses, etc.)
  • My brother was in the Army in the mid-1980s, and had a Secret or maybe Top Secret clearance ... the background investigation included investigators speaking with people who'd paid him to mow their lawns during high school.
  • I'm pretty sure the DIS checked TRW, TransUnion, and other credit score systems back then, too ... we had a little terminal for those agencies in the student loan center at the time.
A possible added complication: the Morrow Project's background check is in many cases being performed on someone who doesn't know it's happening, and thus isn't cooperating.

In our current campaign it's presumed that the Morrow Project is "piggybacking" on government background checks of Council of Tomorrow corporate employees for a lot of the clearances.

--
Michael B.