View Single Post
Old 11-16-2022, 04:10 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike6 View Post
The "Light Frigates" that keep on popping about is this ship class notional? If so are we going to see the stats printed in a future issue of the newsletter like the Freedom class?
No, they're additional Coast Guard Bear/Famous-class medium endurance cutters, delivered with the defense features the USCG cutters were designed to be augmented with in wartime - a towed array sonar, two quad Harpoon launchers, some additional electronics and a LAMPS-1 SH-2 helicopter instead of the Dauphin. While they were disliked IRL as poor sea boats and there were questions about the ships' stability if all that armament was fitted, I posit that they were put back into production anyway, as they were cheaper and offered some decent capability while small enough to be produced at second-tier shipyards, such as the many smaller yards along the Gulf Coast that primarily build offshore oilfield support boats in peacetime.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...