View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Question About Wind as it relates to fallout.

I am currently adding fallout to my nuclear effects map. The source for a portion of my code recently unexpectedly added fallout to the effects display

http://www.carloslabs.com/node/20

Unfortunately this has surprised me from a data perspective. I had not thought about wind direction when I did the data model. The carloslabs page solves this question by making the wind direction random but adjustable. Adjustable is not feasable on my system due to the number of strikes.

At first I thought random would be ridiculous as in the US winds primarily move from West to East i always expected fallout to follow that pattern. Thinking about it I wondered if the thermal effects of such a bomb screw things up so much that random wind might be possible.

I still think I will go with a fixed wind direction for each strike using the following basis:

USA. West to East with variation from northerly to southerly, southerly slightly emphasized.

Canada. West to East with variation from northerly to southerly, southerly strongly emphasized.

USSR. Generally radiating out from the center or the country, but significant variation.

UK. Generally North to South with easterly to westerly variation, easterly slightly emphasized.

Anyone have any opinions on this. This kinda came at me from left field and is the only thing holding me back from finishing up the strikes portion of my system.