View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswood View Post
I have a fear of bears. A friend of mine claims the best way to hunt them is with a bow (thinks the broadhead will wiggle around in the body and slice them up). I keep telling him the best way to hunt bears is from the inside of a Bradley with a 25mm chain gun.

Alligators here in the South can get fairly large, but not normaly as big as crocs. I've seen photos of on the was caught not too far from my house (5-7 miles) that was in the 12-15' range.
Is your friend an experienced bowhunter? Because as someone who's actually hunted with bows, I can tell you the only real way you get a kill, after nailing them in a vital spot with a broadhead (better make sure those broadheads are RAZOR sharp, btw), is from excessive blood loss, which can take anywhere from several minutes or even longer depending on how much blood and andrenaline is kicking into the creature once it's hit. If it's a deer, it's galloping away like crazy and you have to track it for a least a mile if not longer before it dies from blood loss. If it's a bear on the other hand....uhhh, better have some high caliber rifle or handgun loaded with magnum rounds ready at hand, because that bear's going to be likely charging at YOU, and he's gonna be pissed. God forbid if you actually shot a mama bear with said arrow and her cubs happen to be nearby...

Anyway, I think that's why a lot of the larger caliber rifles and magnum loads are popular up in Alaska, due to the occasional polar bears that can maul you if you're not careful, among other things.
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake