View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schone23666 View Post
If it's a bear on the other hand....uhhh, better have some high caliber rifle or handgun loaded with magnum rounds ready at hand, because that bear's going to be likely charging at YOU, and he's gonna be pissed. God forbid if you actually shot a mama bear with said arrow and her cubs happen to be nearby...
This is exactly why I like my combat rules nice and crunchy. In my last Harnmaster game a young heavy horse mercenary decided to leave the rest of the party late one afternoon and go out hunting. He'd bow hunted before and he was a big, strong dude but he'd never hunted bear and he hadn't taken any advice on how best to do so (boar spears are pretty popular in the wilderness of Harn).

Anyhoo, he wasn't particularly looking for bear but that was the first decent sized-creature he tracked and found. He wanted to drill it good and proper so he snuck in upwind until he was pretty close before taking his shot with his bow. Thing is, neither the player nor the character knew much about bears. His first arrow didn't kill the bear and it was turning to look at him when he let fly. He was taken completely by surprise at how fast bears can run when they're pissed off. He ended up ditching the bow and going for a big knife at his belt (blade almost as long as a gladius).

The bear made a big mess of him. He killed it, but if the rest of the party hadn't come looking for him he wouldn't have survived the night. And he was the biggest, meanest, most combat-capable party member. It wasn't even a maximum-sized bear.