View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
It's worth keeping in mind the game was originally written assuming American players with American characters in American units doing American things.
Other nations appear tacked on almost as an afterthought. Given the lack of US units in the Scandinavian countries as of 2000, it no surprise there's little detail given of those areas.
Looking at all the game materials, it's really only those regions where US troops are likely to be found or move through that have any reasonably detailed information. The latter books moved some way towards detailing other areas too, but it was still generally assumed I think that there would be US characters involved - Bears Den for example.
Given the time the game was developed, and the fact it was a US company with predominately (perhaps even solely - I don't really know) US staff, and RP gamers in the 80's and early 90's were mostly US, it makes sense. Rather annoying for us now, three decades later as we seek to expand into these other regions, but it's understandable why it is the way it is.

Also worth remembering that besides a few exceptions canon doesn't actually state places were not nuked, only those which definitely were. 1.0, 2.2 and 2.2 all indicate the individual GM is free, even encouraged to add more strikes, even if only as random encounters of tac nuke craters.
Thats one reason I did as much research as I did on the East Africa Sourcebook as to likely places for where the nuclear attacks would have occurred based on the size of the refineries and other assets the US and Soviets were trying to deny the other side (as well as letting the South Africans get a few licks in as well). And why when I revised it I changed one nuke strike based on the fact that it really didnt make sense for the Soviets to waste a nuke on that target.