Thread: T2K Propaganda
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
I don't think you'll have much propaganda left in T2K. The only propaganda I can be thinking of would be positive pro-government one in places where government still exist (HMG, Civgov, Milgov, France, Sweden...). What I think about it is that it will focus on the need for the people to support any reconstruction effort. It might also focus on how much better you might be under governmental protection: basically, "surrender what freedom you still have and trade it for security".
That last bit makes me think of New America--especially in western Florida.

Quote:
I don't think any anti-ennemy propaganda will be left. No true ennemy will remain after some times and there will be no point of using propaganda against them. Moreover, no structure would be left to conceive and use propaganda.
I don't agree that there will be no structure left. I do agree that the structures producing propaganda will be dramatically different in scale, scope, focus, resources, and application. Propaganda is useful for any government. The more stress and strain a government is undergoing, the more useful propaganda is likely to seem. Strained governments, including warlords, will want to increase public morale. Propaganda is a useful tool in shifting blame from the government to someone else. Legitimate governments and warlords alike will want to convince their people that things are better today than they were yesterday. By the same token, warlords and legitimate governments alike will want to convince their people that things will be even better tomorrow, so long as the people play ball and so long as the enemy du jour doesn't mess it all up.

Quote:
Nevertheless, the collapse of government will imply the collapse of organized propaganda or so I think.
I agree with you that national propaganda and televised/radio propaganda will cease, for the most part. Methods and focus will change so much that one might say that pre-war propaganda disappear. The need for a government--any government--to manage the attitudes and thinking of its people won't go away, though.

Webstral