View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 08:32 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graebarde
There are a number of variables that must be taken into account for sure. One not mentioned is temperature. While it's not gunfire, I do recall overhearing a conversation that took place a mile away. The folks were talking plainly. It startled me to hear them talking as I had just come out of the house. Conditions: Calm, night, and -40F. The only time it happened, but it did. Spooky too.
It also depends on the terrain conditions -- a shot is more likely to be heard a long way away if you fire it in the Grand Canyon than if you fire it deep inside Yosemite. There's an interesting room as Bell Laboratories that they use to test certain sound equipment -- you can shout in it and almost not even hear yourself, because of the tiling on the walls. There's another one where if you stand in a certain place in the room you can whisper and no one will hear you unless they are standing in another certain part of the room -- where your whisper will sound as loud as a shout. Anywhere else in the room, you'll hear nothing.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com