View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 06:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
I can SO see somebody sanctioning a raid on a facility like that. I'm guessing the range on those must be close to 1000 kicks.
I think somewhere on www.archive.org , there was a explanation on how microwaves were used in phone networks although the film was from like circa 1950. IIRC, microwaves are line of sight but for a short distance, they do follow the curvature of the Earth somewhat so IIRC, you get about 30 miles (50 km) range our of a microwave station before you need another one in the chain. Of course, it can vary by the height of the antenna too. They were also used by the radio and TV networks too.

I know in "Alas Babylon," there was use of the teletype network. IIRC, the town's banker wanted to talk to the Federal Reserve Office in Atlanta but the teletype operator could not reach them. He then asked her for the sub-office in Jacksonville but she only got the terminal on Palatka, Florida where the teletype operator there said they saw a mushroom cloud above Jacksonville. I think the message went like "Palatka to Circuit, large mushroom cloud sighted over Jacksonville, lost contact with Jacksonville." The chain was broken, it went from Palatka past Daytona down to Orlando and the Space Coast. IIRC from the book.

It concerns me that we depend on the internet for communications, what if we have an STHF, we might not have the old infrastructure to rely on although ham radio operators (I'm one) still exist. Same with shortwave, a lot of nations dumped shortwave broadcasting for the internet, bad move I say.