View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 02:55 AM
Registered Registrant

Default Perma-bans for some people?

Okay, so I read the ban notice about Olefin and yeah he over-reacts at times and he blindly rushes in with both eyes firmly shut and has absolutely no concept of diplomacy but...

A permanent ban?
Really?
Have we become so intolerant that someone throwing a tantrum has become "too hard" to deal with?
Have we decided censorship is the best solution to dealing with things we don't want to hear?

Yes Olefin is a bit of a dropkick at times because he doesn't comprehend diplomacy and can't keep his mouth shut and yes I have had full on fights with him in the past the could have got nasty but I truly believe a permanent ban is completely unwarranted.

Temporary bans? Okay, sure thing and hopefully the malefactor learns a lesson or three.
But permanent ban?
I cannot see that this would do anything good for this community.

It will end up exactly like the facebook group run by that woman whose attitude is "do it my way or fuck off".
What the hell happened to letting people have a chance to speak their mind and no I am not suggesting for a second that this means they don't have to take responsibility for whatever crap they spew up.

Olefin is passionate about the game, far too passionate for my tastes some times but he does love it dearly. If he is perma-banned then great, we can all feel happy that someone who has trouble learning tact has been punished but it poisons this community. Everyone will be wondering if they can voice a valid opinion or if they should keep their mouth shut for fear of being banned.

I strongly urge the moderators to NOT issue a permanent ban against Olefin. He's venting his rage and been a bit of an idiot but he has not caused the migration away from the forums that LAW did many years ago and I will sink the boot in, LAW was allowed to continue his childish insults of many people on the forum without much punishment but those who stood up to his bullying often received bans - they were the victims not the instigators yet it appeared to some of us that LAW was given preferential treatment. It really felt that the Mods were playing favourites.
That damaged our community far more than Olefin's carry on ever has.
The fact that some of us remember it means it had more impact than it ever should have.

LAW was poison for this community, Olefin is a hothead and a dumbarse.
I am VERY glad LAW is no longer part of this community but for all his faults, Olefin has never personally insulted me or challenged me to a physical fight, two things that LAW did often enough that I left this forum and when I came back it was with a new identity.
I felt I needed to do that because it felt that some people were allowed to do whatever they wished while others, committing lesser offences got absolutely hammered for it.
I REALLY do not want to see that sort of thing happening again.