View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespers War View Post
I'm curious what you did for the small arms. I've gone with treating the binary propellant as being equivalent to ETC in Fire, Fusion & Steel, and trying to match gun lengths rather than gun weights; some of the rounds are rather energetic and end up with heavy receivers to withstand the generated pressure.

My Kafer projectile weapons from the Kafer Sourcebook end up as:

Vved Ush (Horse Pistol, TL 9 14.1x31mm straight)
Wt 3.15, Mag 6R, Dam 3, Pen 2-Nil, Bulk 2, SS 3, Rng 16

Vved Ach* (Thud Gun, TL 9 12.1x31mm necked)
Wt 12.16, Mag 66, Dam 5, Pen 2-4-6, Bulk 5, SS 4 Burst 10, Rng 51

The Vved Ach* is where the receiver issue pokes its head. The round has an average ME of 7,414.58 joules, which means that under FF&S design guidelines it has a 7.4 kilogram receiver.

The cheerfully absurd one on the human side is the 12-81:

Rockwell "Twelve-Eighty-One Magnum" (TL 10 12x81mm necked)
Wt 22.19, Mag 6, Dam 8, Pen 2-3-4, Bulk 10, SS 4, Rng 98

The range doesn't include the integral bipod, and it does have an integrated TL 9 muzzle brake, since the art appears to show one. Without the brake and with the barrel lengthened to match the stated length, it would be 22.07 kilograms, SS 5, and Rng 103. This is one heck of a hunting rifle.

I haven't debugged my gauss rifle or plasma calculating spreadsheets, so those weapons aren't ready for discussion.
I didn't have Fire, Fusion, & Steel when I did the conversion so I used the rules in the (then brand new) 2nd edition Small Arms guide.

I made some "suppositions" about binary-propellant weapons and how things might evolve. My BP weapons had around a 25% increase in range and a 10% decrease in weight. I figured caseless ammo would increase capacity by around 20% to 25%. The Colt Spectre had introduced the QUAD-STACK magazine so I figured this would be the future of all mags. Even with SUREFIRE introducing the 60-round quad stacked AR mags, we still haven't gone forward with this technology. I figured a man-portable BP would have a solid propellant wrapped around the bullet (ala the G11) with a second "aerosol" that would be squirted into the chamber with the round. An electric charge would then detonate the now volatile BP mix. Thus, my BP weapons had a small aerosol can in the pistol grip (good for 500 rounds), a 100-round flush-fit magazine and I reduced the calibers to 4.7mm, 4.5mm and 4.2mm which helped explain 100 rounds in a thick 30-round sized magazine. Otherwise, the major improvements were in Velocity (I increased typical velocities by 25%), recoil (with most weapons using the H&K introduced "constant recoil" system), and in the Optical Sighting systems. This means that these weapons have much longer ranges than typical modern Assault Rifles. My 1281 Rifle held 20 rounds (10 round flush-fit) because an M82 today can hold 12 in a mag.

Gauss Weapons used the same "Homopolar Generator" to charge a capacitor that the Laser weapons used. This means that in my game, both Gauss weapons & Lasers are semi-auto only. This is due to the need for the generator to recharge the weapon's capacitor between shots. While "coilguns" (the slang for hand-held gauss rifles) did significantly increase the velocity of a projectile, the gains were only 50% in velocity over a normal rifle. Thus, most "Coilguns" will have a velocity of around 4K to 5K feet per second. The caliber of these weapons is TINY. 2.5mm or 2.2mm are common calibers. This allows for a 250 round standard-length magazine. The lethality would be enhanced by adding in a small sliver of EXPLOSIVE inside each round (which resembles a long barbed needle). This is similar to the 50. Raufoss round. The damages for these rifles range from 2 to 5 based on the caliber of the rifle. The magazines also house a battery with sufficient power to fire the magazine until empty. So mags have to be both reloaded AND recharged. The weapons CAN be hooked to the power supply in a VAC suit or powered armor. These weapons produce a distinctive "snap" or "crackle" similar to a stun gun when fired and are very low recoil.