Thread: Twilight 2025
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2021, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
The danger of being located by the radio signals from your phone aside, I believe social media and the increasing habit of soldiers posting selfies and other images is perhaps a greater threat.
One photo alone may not be too much of a problem, but a photo every few days will allow an analyst to glean quite a bit of useful information. Multiply that by several dozen soldiers from the same unit and you very quickly get a detailed picture, even if each individual is taking care in their posts not to show anything sensitive - all put together....

For this (and other reasons) I'm a supporter of the idea soldiers should not have personal, "private" electronic communications systems - communication with family and friends should certainly be encouraged, but no pictures sent electronically, and video comms only from a dedicated location which has been screened off to prevent ANY information being unintentionally transmitted.

Basically take 1940's era mail censorship into the electronic age.
So there was a row a while back about fitness apps within the US Military.

Data point 1 - Fitness tracking app Strava gives away location of secret US army bases

Another article on the same topic

As we grow more and more dependent on electronics to do things like generate metrics on stuff like exercise. One has to ask, if we are paying attention to what is being harvested.