View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 10:01 PM

Are the numbers for additional 8th ID equipment found in the Eastern European Sourcebook? I've never seen it, and from what I have heard about it I don't think I care to. From what people have written about it, the work is so shoddy that it detracts more than it adds. Perhaps it would be better to ignore the whole thing. (I know--easy for me to say, since I have no investment in the thing.)

I'm with Kato that the number of 8th ID tanks listed in the US Army Vehicle Guide can be sustained with a 1000-man organization. But helicopters? MLRS? I'd think that these assets would have been consolidated at the army level by 2000.

IFV/APC might be another matter. Several years ago, we discussed preparations for the Summer 2000 offensive into Poland. The thesis was advanced that XI Corps was selected for a concentration of available armor, etc. Without going into the details of how USAEUR would manage to gain cooperation from divisions who might be giving up some materiel, it's conceivable that 8th ID was beefed up with functional AFV at the expense of other formations. I say conceivable without making a statement about feasibility. 8th ID has 18 MBT and light tanks on the books as of July 1, 2000. It's not inconceivable that 22 M2 could be assinged to the division, giving the 1000-man force a single heavy battalion. Still, it seems like the numbers of AFV mentioned in this post are a bit sketchy for a 1000-man formation in 2000.

Webstral