View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
The 2.0 initiative has a few things in it which level the field A LOT. Repetitive actions for example where a character with low actions is given the support weapon (belt fed machinegun, AGL, etc) and just keeps firing at the same general area between actions - makes great use of the danger area rule of automatic weapons and makes machineguns much more useful in the automatic rather than single shot role.
The other is the damage - if a character takes enough to cause them to loose an action, even if it's just a paper cut, then they're unable to do ANYTHING until the next turn (30 seconds). Grenades and other explosive area effect weapons are brilliant in this regard, the concussion alone can be enough to effectively paralyse an entire unit (if they're bunched up too close) allowing the Initiative 1 plebs to stroll up at their leisure and beat them to death with blunt objects. This of course promotes the use of hand grenades, etc by both sides and the local town chemist becomes a very valuable member of the militia (they can make explosives).
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I do agree with the initiative system (as per my original post). v1 and v2, well it was just too fiddly. v1 having to spread actions around, worrying about repetitive actions. Good idea, but just a bit much for me. Same for v2.

v2.2 I liked because it was quick but then a initiative 6 character gets to go twice - why?!? Didn't seem right, so I settled on a combo that I'm still not convinced on:
Characters receive additional actions each phase (6 turns) for each level by which current Initiative > 3 (on the step equal to one-half of the current Initiative). The rational was that now it feels like a bonus - everyone gets an action and if you're good you get some more. bit harder to track though because again you're back to 6-turn phases.....

https://sites.google.com/site/leonpo...edirects=0&d=1