View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 09:49 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.
Default The look of the Armies of NATO in 2000

After looking at the progress of the War on Terror. I have been wondering, if the Divisions in NATO would resemble anything that GDW had thought. You would find more than few units foreigners in the ranks. I can see German Brigade assigned to UK and US Division and US brigade assigned to German Divisions.

Especially with reading the reports and seeing how that since the start of the War, many units have rarely deployed above Brigade levels where they haven't been heavily cross-attachment with other units. And since the 2nd or 3rd rotation of troops, a rarely a Division will deploy together. What happens is Division HQ will take command if they are lucky two of their own Brigades and then have other Brigades attached. Also during the time between the old system and new Unit of Action organization, was interesting to see how they would used various Brigade commands with attachments and detachments to keep up with the various deployments.

I mean I can see let's say the 8th Mechanized Division could have one of it 3 BCTs, while it would have Brigade from say the 5th Mechanized and 1st Cavalry who had been attached to it, during the time of activity to enable a Divisions and Corps to keep moving forward. Even that Brigade may have a Battalion/Task Force from the other 2 Brigades before they were left in place to re-organize. Much like toward the part in Team Yankee when the team is taken from the remains of the Mechanized Task Force and returned to it parent Battalion, because the Team was an asset that had offensive capabilities.

Also shortly after the start of the war, you would see Brigade having their supporting units from Division being assigned on the fix basis as the Brigade move around as need.

I don't really see many of the Brigade who were moved from different Division to other being returned after things slowed down, due for various reasons. Also I can see the Brigades being attached to Divisions of Nationalities a lot more too. With all the going back and forth, you would need to move units where they were needed, and not worry too much who was in command of the Division they were fighting with. Granted for the first three years they would return the Brigade back to their National Army as soon as possible, but by late 1998 and on it would be more of strain to move them back.

Also very early in the War, I can see the Armor and Mechanized Battalions being reduced from 4 Companies to 3 Companies due to shortages in both manpower and equipment. With some Armor/Mechanized Platoons and Companies that were converted to something along the lines of Light Motorized organization, much like they had to do in Iraq for patrols.

Also, I can see many of the Light Infantry organizations pooling vehicles to motorize a Company or Battalion for mobility, one has to remember in RL the armored and motorized Battalions of the Light Infantry Division were just paper dreams and rarely did they have more than 2 BCTs. In fact, rarely were the Divisions that were based in the CONUS were fully staff, even if they had been authorized to have been a full strength division on paper. Even those overseas weren't near full strength. It was one of the reason why during Operation Desert Storm, you can find units from almost every Division in those who took part of it. Those who didn't have men on the front line, had men who were kept in the rear as a pool for replacements.

Also I can see by 2000 the Armored Cavalry Regiment based in Europe going from a Corps asset that does screening and recon work, to be just another combat brigade.

Yes, I believe most of this will take place by 1999. At which time transfers of anything will slow down to next to nothing, due to Divisional and Corps Commanders not willing to lose combat power. More than likely a Corps will pool together several Brigades much like we seen happen the last couple years into one or two Division size units for limited offensive. I don't really see many Commanders at any level wanting to move far from their current areas and crops. They will leave sizable force to babysit their support base, just in case things go shit. These units would only catch up to those forward if and only if they could secure an area and crops to support the entire command.

Just some thoughts.