View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Rainbow, you are correct, there were 5 Ard. Recce Rgt.'s. The two in BAOR were designated as Ard.Recce Rgt.'s (BAOR Tracked). Though under command of the 1st & 4th Ard. Div.'s in war they came under command of the Corps & fought the covering force battle to screen the deployment of 1st Corps & find/fix the axis of advance of 3rd Shock Army (this is all info I received via several people in the know on Tanknet). A few TA bn.'s (listed as Corps troops in the Hansard) might also have been tasked to assist. 3rd Ard. Div. had an Ard.Recce Rgt.(UK tracked) based in peacetime @ Wimbish, as its Div. Recce since it was assigned as the Corps (& actually the NORTHAG) counterattack div. The 3rd IRL appeared to have been completely Challenger/Warrior equipped (at least planned for)by the early '90's. I was also informed via Tanknet, to think of BAOR planning on fighting a similiar battle to Alam Halfa ( I think I spelled it right) using the less mobile TA Inf. & Saxon equipped Inf. To channel the Soviets and break up their attack allowing the highly mobile Challenger/Warrior equipped bde.'s to attack them piecemeal. This defensive scheme further reminds me of the German defences during Goodwood with heavily defended AT locales attritting the British Armour attacking toward the ridge.

Last edited by Louied; 12-06-2010 at 09:43 PM.