View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 04:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
From a link I found in the morrow project yahoo group.

(emphases added)

From Report of the Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack (7MB). PDF page 131 numbered page 115

In general they feel that blown traffic systems and lack of electricity for gas pumps will lead to greater degradation of the transportation system than disabled vehicles.
I pretty much agree with that, don't forget, automobile electronics are made to stand up to rugged conditions, perhaps because of that, they are not as prone to EMP as most think although that could be a side effect. Most diodes and transistors in automobiles are huge things as well. Plus unless you have a Corvette, the car body is like a Faraday cage. I work in auto parts and see this stuff all the time.

As to weird stuff happening like gauges going crazy or idiot lights blinking, well, thati s possible too, then again, I remember my father bought a 1972 Chevy Bel-Air and the fuel gauge would read empty to full and back again, the temperature light would stay on and so on. We had a few bad switches, I remember Mom keeping track of fuel with the odometer and we just kept driving with out fingers crossed in the hope we won't overheat.

Another exception was a defect, Ford has some problems with heat shutting down the ignition systems in their 1990 Lincoln Town Cars. I was driving one from Moon Township near the Airport to North Huntington PA for a rental company I worked for. It was Sunday, after hours, everyone went home except me. Well, I made it through the Fort Pitt tunnel and the Lincoln died on me as I was on the Fort Pitt Bridge. The dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and I had to coast to an emergency pullover place as I turned to I-376 to the Parkway East after getting off the Fort Pitt Bridge. I barely made it. I tried to restart the thing, no go. I tried several times, nothing. No one was coming by, I was near downtown Pittsburgh but it seem so deserted. No police came by or anyone. I sat there for 15 minutes. I decided to either hoof it, even if I had to walk on the highway or to restart again. Well, I tried the car, it restarted no problems and I made it to North Huntington no problem. I picked up the vehicle I was supposed to and made it home.