View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
The Coast Guard is actually a LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY in the eyes of the US Government thru and thru. This is why there HAVE to be Coasties on Navy vessels participating in drug operations. The Navy is NOT RECOGNIZED as a Title 18 agency under the Law. Posse Comitatus would make their involvement Unconstitutional EXCEPT that it is the Coasties who perform the actual arrest. I don't think the US COULD have a legitimate military unit with powers of arrest without violating the Posse Comitatus Act (restrictions on policing with the armed forces).
Yes, they are except when they are not. They recruit like the military, are paid at the military pay rates, are subject to the UCMJ. So even though they are not military, they really are kind of, and then during war they become part of the US Navy.

I do agree with you that I do not think that the US can have one. The best I can think of is things like NCIS where they are federal agents working for the military, but not part of the military, or possibly the Guard when called up by the Governors as Posse Comitatus does not apply the the Guard except when on federal orders. But then we also have way more federal law enforcement agencies than any other nation (I think).