View Single Post
Old 12-20-2021, 06:54 PM

Snakes are fascinating things.

When I was in Tasmania (southernmost Australia) the wildlife guy came around and explained the snake we'd inadvertently antagonised to the point it was almost sending us nasty e-mails.

Because it was so cold it had tried a 'dry bite' at us. This is where the snake doesn't load up its fangs with venom, and it does this because loading those fangs is very energy-intensive for Mr Snake. This is a sort of 'bugger off' bite that still uses a lot of energy but not as much as a toxic bite.

Because my idiot mate was so tired he then actually stepped on the snake while I was warning him about it so the snake then loaded up a full venom-load and bit him on his work boot. Now he's got the problem where he's got one of the most poisonous creatures on the planet biting him and can't take his foot off it in case it goes even more ballistic. Luckily our local snake wrangler, mandated by government policy, was right there.

So he grabs the snake, tosses it in the snake bag and then shows us the snake is literally dying in front of our eyes it had so little energy left. At this point I found out that biologists are absolute lunatics because he went over to his truck, put the heater on and let the snake out in the cab. When I in horror asked him where the hell he'd expect the snake to be after that he replied "usually under the seat or wrapped around the steering column", strongly implying the nutter has done this more than once. After ten minutes he nabbed it with his snake-grabbers and took it down to the creek and let it go.

I have hundreds of snake stories of which this is just one.