View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpipes View Post
That's good info. The biggest hole in my research was exactly which ships were down for major overhauls. Where did you find that info?
Could not the Mk13 had been placed back in service? As I recall, they left the launchers in place and just withdrew the SM-1s.

I really think V2 and 2.2 get things wrong with the fallout from the Coup. I think that makes everyone start going "wait a minute....." with the headlong rush to de-mobilize at least slowing. Once a shooting war broke out in China, things would have gone into overdrive (IMO) to mobilize and the US would have started actually forming new division. By November 1996, all of NATO would have been executing their mobilization plans and getting weapons production geared up to wartime planning.

Russia I think pretty much gets its act together...save the Motherland and all...it worked in 1941 and I think would have worked in 1995. Not that are back at their peak by 1/1997, but they are not a basket case like they were historically either.

I also don't think Clinton would have been elected with Periot not making the run he did historically.
This info comes from a man named Dick who served on the LA Class subs in the 1980's. He hooked me up with several former Navy guys who helped guide these posts (I'm Army Artillery but I love sailing). My friend Tim was also Navy. I confirmed what I was told by searching the Navy Fact Files, FAS, The Military Factory and looking up the various ships BY NAME and checking their Operational History (which lists deployments). Be warned! You can really tumble down "The Rabbit Hole" doing research like this. I cannot even remember all the links in those websites.

I agree about Russia but the whole Clinton Peace Dividend works for explaining WHY Russia could stand against NATO. I also operate under the premise that NATO thought the increasing conflict with Russian-backed rebels in Poland (the "spark" which "ignites" the Twilight War in my Alternate History) was just another "brushfire war" like Kosovo, East Timor, and Africa. They don't realize WWIII is occurring UNTIL they are fully involved in it. This makes the Twilight War in my timeline a "come as you are" war. No time to prep or plan, it just "happens" because EVERYONE (even Russia) was too blind to see it happening. I use this approach to justify the "dusting off" of older stored equipment because if everyone had time to prepare, then the US would be cranking out new AFVs, Planes, and Missiles. Because they aren't ready, they have to "make do" with whatever they have "stashed away."

Those MK13s were probably NOT available anymore because they would have been used to keep the still serving MK13s operational. The Navy hadn't made MK13s since the early 80's and cannibalization is a COMMON Navy practice. Look at how the Coast Guard scavenged parts from the last Perry Class Frigates when the Navy mothballed them. I think TW2K13 said it best... "a detailed strip is the scavenging equivalent to a plague of locusts. Nothing is left."

I'd like to plug a really good museum in the Buffalo NY area for Naval Ship fans. I hope this link works.

www.buffalonavalpark.org

Ok, the link works. I'm off to game... the team will be here in 30 minutes.