View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 AM

Well i think its time for me to sound off. as a combat vet GDW's "canon" is about as fake as one can get. loses are way to high.

#1: the Soviet navy sucked badly. I have used harpoon to wargame it all out they lasted less then 2 months

#2:available NATO Tank and AFV. 512 M-1's a year from one 1 plant, 1 shift in 1990. I'd see that tripling in times of war. probably soon after the start of the war in china. also if the Detroit tank plant was retooled that's another 1500-1600 tanks a year. I see NATO/US as having far more tanks/AFV's then in "canon" and the Soviet/ WP having more men and less tanks/AFV's.

#3:GDW's numbers on loses are far to high. as a 19k myself I know. I've been hit by all kinda of things (T-72's at point blank range, ATGW, RPG's, ect) and know an M-1 is very hard to kill. also tanks can get "knocked out" many times and be repaired in the field with minim spares.

as for fuel M-1's can run on anything that burns. one of our joke was we could get drunk and piss in the fuel tank. LOL

#4: nukes, GDW does not take in to account the fact that a large number of then would be shot down. and most where targeted at units in the field. a 20KT warhead would be lucky to kill a tank battalion.

last I'd like to thank Chico and the DC working group for the fine work they have done. I don't agree with it all but it's far better then "canon"

"There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
--General George S. Patton, Jr.