View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 01:09 PM

Default Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
Afternoon all,

IRL the UK Government implemented a defence review in 1991 known as Options for Change (details of which can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Options_for_Change)

Attached is a proposed alternative for T2K in a V1 timeline called "Options for the Future" which I hope some may find to be of interest - it forms part of the backstory for my non canonical UK work and is the basis for my December 1996 British Army order of battle and some of the equipment fielded. It is a first draft, particularly the sections on the RAF and RN, so feedback / suggestions are most welcome.

A few acknowledgments...virtually all of the section on the TA was inspired by Louied, who did all the hard work on the rebadging of some Battalions, whilst the idea of the F16 Fighting Falcon in RAF service first originated on the etranger website (as far as I know).

So...let me know what you think...and just to reemphasise this is a V1 timeline...

Cheers
Really good work.

A few points/notes (all of which are minor) - many of which I only know through my errors!

* Until the armoured strength was cut back there was a Challenger I/Chieftain upgrade programme. Given there is no Gulf War to show the strengths of the Challenger I this will likely emphasize the engagement time and accuracy of the main gun.

* Chieftains would have replaced the AOP Centurions and formed the basis of a number of engineering variants (plus things such as the Marksman Chieftain if you use this). Many would still be required as battlefield replacement vehicles.

* The HSF recruits could have had service in ANY of the armed services (regular or reserve), or the Cadet Forces or the Police - I made this mistake too!

* As a political measure the Falcon F1s could have British engines?

* 41 Commando's traditions were handed on to the RM Mountain and Arctic Warfare Cadre - it therefore makes sense to use this as the basis for the reformed Commando and the MAWC adopting a composite tradition perhaps?

* Without the Gulf War the logistical shortfall will be less apparent and units will suffer badly from ammo shortages in the early days.