View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 02:12 AM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
Take that canon material!!!

LOL
Lee,

Ha, you should really consider switching to Aftermath!.

Quote:
I don't think I've played a game in the last 30-some years strictly by canon. IMO when you find a system that fits your style, many players will stick with it, often to the bitter end!

And whats wrong with that?
I can't possibly answer this, as I clearly never said it was "wrong" to use another system other than TMP in the first place.

Speaking personally, I've used and played many systems with TMP (GURPS 3rd ed. comes to mind). If there is a problem, it's that other systems adapted to TMP tend to blend together and become generic (even when using a non-generic system to start).

Having used TMP's canon system as a player and a PD, I can say it's a solid system that definitely captures the specific flavour of the game and the factors the designers wanted to emphasise. (To be clear, I mean the canon 3rd edition rules that have been cleaned up and fixed but not totally overhauled or replaced.) Some players couldn't care less what system they use and so it doesn't matter either way. Others are wedded to their favourite system to the "bitter end" and can't fathom using another (d20) for whatever reason. (I can't imagine drinking the Koolade that deeply, but I guess some people like what they like!)

Maybe I'm just getting conservative in my old age, I sometimes feel that change simply for the sake of change is not always a net positive.

Quote:
One of the most entertaining games that I've ever played in was a mix of Star Wars/Vampire/Toon...it didn't make much sense, but IT WAS FUN!!!!
You played a game TMP that combined Star Wars/Vampire/Toon? Bizarre!

I've had loads of fun playing similarly stupid and silly games, laughed my ass off and enjoyed myself immensely. You can't be dark and serious all the time! That said, RPG "lite" games don't affect me on the same level a serious game does, and that can be a good thing, too.

Quote:
And that's the strength of TMP, there is something for everyone...and if you don't like it...modify it!!!! (insert evil laugh!)
Hey, there's no "TMP police" holding a gun to your head. Give everyone in the Project a HAAM suit armed with tac-nukes if you feel like it, I won't complain! Many of the stronger elements (especially equipment) for TMP was well thought-out for the time and the people involved (and even for nowadays). We may not agree with these choices, but they weren't put together without a lot of prior thought. The background is also keyed into a significant period of time, the Cold War and World War III (that is, the "real" one, not with China or post-Soviet Russia or a generic TEOTWAWKI).

These original elements come together to lend a definite authenticity to TMP that is not matched in other post-apoc or generic RPGs. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that anyone not following canon is "wrong" or running a bad game. But blowing up canon doesn't automatically make it better, either!

Tony

Last edited by helbent4; 11-29-2010 at 05:34 AM.